Saturday 22 June 2013

Very Inspiring Blogger Award

It's an honor to have been nominated for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, especially since the nomination came from author Rose Anderson. Her blog, Calliope's Writing Tablet is always full of inspiring articles.
I am obliged as part of the award to share 7 things about myself. My list will pale in comparison to Rose's, which includes white water rafting, walking on fire, and being a Master Level Reiki practitioner!

  • I'm a cat lover. My mother will be turning over in her grave to hear that, but I've always had a place in my heart for cats. At one time I had four! I recently lost my most beloved cat, Topaz. I was in the midst of writing Haunted Knights and had added a black cat to the story. Topaz was a tortie, so I changed the book and renamed the cat Topaz. I even dedicated the book in her memory. It's hard to lose a pet you've had for 12 years.
  • I am an amateur genealogist, a hobby that has had a huge influence on my writing. When I could not trace my own ancestry back to the Norman Conquest (the impossible dream), I made up a family and have followed their lives and love stories in my books.
  • Before I retired (!) I was a teacher. I loved teaching, loved communicating ideas and concepts. I consider myself fortunate to have been born at a time when a good education was becoming available for all. It pains me when I encounter students who don't appreciate the opportunities schooling can give them.
  • I spend quite a bit of my time now in Panama. My husband and I built a condo building in Las Lajas, a small community that boasts the best undiscovered beach in Panama. Walking the beach with nothing to look at but the ocean, the sand, the palm trees, and the millions of tiny red crabs, has often unlocked blocks in my writing. I invariably return from the beach with a new idea for the next part of a book. I harbor a secret dream to have other authors join me here for some kind of retreat, taking inspiration from the sea.
  • I have spent most of my life in Canada, though I was born and educated in England. I suppose that's why I feel comfortable setting my books in the UK countries. I've never had the desire to write about Canada. Of course, I write medieval, though I have a contemporary novel set in Panama in the back of my mind.
  • I am terrified of water. I didn't learn to swim until I was 23, though anybody watching me would not call it swimming. I only "swim" in water where I know my feet can touch bottom!
  • I love wine. My basic criteria is that it be red.
Now, it's my turn to nominate blogs I have found inspirational.
Mimi Barbour's blog, Believe is a beautifully designed blog always worth a visit.
Jo-Ann Carson's blog Lovin' Danger and the Unexpected is my second choice.
Hope you'll check them out.
Now I'm off for a stroll along the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment