Friday 23 November 2012

Where the Heck Is Aragon?

Catherine of Aragon
Mention Aragon and most people think of the Queen divorced by Henry VIII, Catherine of Aragon.
c.1214
In the Middle Ages, Aragon was a kingdom in the northeastern part of Spain. It included what is now Catalonia. The map at right demonstrates that a large part of Spain was still dominated by Muslim peoples in 1214. The struggle by the christian kings of Spain to reconquer Spain went on for hundreds of years, and is also part of the plot of my book, set in 1107.
 In modern times, Aragon is a region of Spain that does not extend to the coast.


Aragon is the setting for my latest release, Dance of Love. My hero and heroine cross the Pyrenees Mountains into Aragon from France.

Aragon is a land of castles, monasteries and magnificent scenery.
Loarre Castle, near Huesca

I hope you will enjoy reading something of the history of Aragon in the early part of the 12th century from my book, Dance of Love.

4 comments: